Sunday, April 12, 2009

Cambiando

I'm at such a strange place in my life right now, and I know people say it all the time and it may be cliche but I really am standing on the line of youth and adulthood. When my advisor told me last week that I'm two ed classes and an exam away from being a teacher, that really hit home to me. I've got to get it together to finish strong.
It's strange how time passes quickly in some places and so slowly in others. I remember thinking I might never survive until high school graduation. And I remember thinking that I had forever in college to figure out the rest of my life. But here I am, and I have to tell you it's scary.
I know most of you probably don't care much for the details of my life, and I won't bore you with them. However I think most of us can relate to a period in life of immense change, when things were moving so fast around us that it seemed we may never find something to hold onto, and that's kind of where I find myself these days.
I'm so over college. There are so many fake and fickle people around here just showing off to one another that genuine people are a commodity. I'm thankful that I have a few great friends. The way I see it, we're here for such a small window of time in this life. There's a point where one has to realize that he can't be concerned with what those around him may think of his beliefs, the music he listens to, what fraternity, if any he's in, who he's dating, how many seconds he can do a keg stand, any of that crap. Everyone else is just as scared of looking dumb or uncool as you are. We're all trying to meet this mutual standard of coolness that we all have set, when we should be worried about outwardly presenting ourselves as people accepting of others, with the ability to see past faults in character, no matter how annoying or uncool, and find something to love. I think people will find that when they let go of the need to meet some imaginary level of awesomeness and begin to just be themselves and see people for who they are, it will have some really cool results. That's my rant for today :) -DiosLesBendiga-Matt
-ps-I'm definitely not saying that I am always, if even often successful at this. But i'm trying my best all the time. That's the point. Just change the way you look at people, it's cool. -DLB-Matt

1 comment:

  1. ok, i am so freaking excited to live next to you next year. because we are like the exact same person (well, besides the fact that you like texas). its so scary that we are moving on to the "real world" after next year... this time next year, we'll be looking for our own houses because there is no dorm housing in real life.
    i hope you have a great monday!
    -austin
    ps. LOVE how you end it dios les bendiga, mi amigo

    ReplyDelete