Thursday, April 23, 2009

People

So, here I am, a few weeks left before summer. I'm in the library on campus, pulling what is looking like an all nighter.
Straight to the point though, storytime. I went outside just a minute ago, to get some fresh air and clear my head. I sat down on the steps out front looking around, just minding my own. A guy came up and was smoking a cigarette and sat down a few feet from me. So, I started talking to him. I made a general conversational remark, "Long night huh?" and he laughed. We started talking and exchanged stories about school work and all of this and talked for a while and then that was it, he went his way and I came back up here.
This is a pretty dull story from the looks of it, I know, but that's not really the point. The point is that everyone, no matter who, has a story. It is never not worth it to exchange with another human being. Like I say a lot now, on this earth, in this life, we're all each other has. Will I ever see that guy again? Maybe, probably not though. When he goes through the rest of this life, he may not even ever think of this night again. However, if I can be a person that is never afraid to reach out, to touch another life, to breathe in the fact that we share the same hopeless and beautiful human condition, then I will never be without.
The way I see it, God has, as I believe, created us all for a purpose, and that purpose is to live out this life for His glory. Not that this means we should all be robots, that is not our purpose. One of the ways that I glorify God is by trying to love, as he loves, his divine and most perfect creation: humanity. This is not easy, nor always the most comfortable thing to do. That said, if I can touch one life, not for my own selfish need to feel important in this life, but to bring to others the knowledge that they are loved and accepted for exactly who they are, then I feel I am living part of MY purpose on this earth.
Everyone has a story, ups, downs, triumphs and failures. With every person you meet, and learn a little bit about, your own story becomes that much richer. Do your best never to be afraid to talk to people, to hear what they have to say, because no matter if you share the same beliefs, socioecomonic status, college major, race, whatever, YOU will always come out of it better for it, and will have left a mark, no matter how shallow or temporary, on another life...and THAT is the point.
Back to this ten page paper...DiosLesBendiga- Matt

1 comment:

  1. There's something about writing on your blog when you have a 10 page paper due. ;-) I did the same thing Wednesday night, though I never actually posted the entry because I didn't know if it made any sense. You, however, sound much more lucid. Deep stuff, Matt. True stuff. I like it.

    ReplyDelete